What materials can I cut with Shapeoko?
Because the Shapeoko 3 is designed with a Trim Router (such as the Dewalt DWP611 or Makita RT0701) in mind, it’s safe to assume that it’ll cut whatever the trim router can cut.
- Hardwoods such as Maple, Ash, Basswood, Birch, Cherry, Walnut, Poplar, and Oak
- Softwoods such as Pine, Cedar, Balsa and Fir
- Plastics such as ABS, Delrin (Acetal), Polycarbonate (PC), Acrylic (PMMA), Nylon, HDPE, LDPE, PP, PET, and PVC, Polyethylene and Polyurethanes
- Synthetics & composites such as Renshape and other Polyurethane resins with fillers, as well as Carbon Fiber and foams
- Non-Ferrous metals such as Aluminum, Brass, and Copper can be machined as well.
A note about safely cutting materials: Some material’s dust is not healthy to inhale. Before milling, always investigate the substances for potential health risks.
For reference, see the 1/4″ 3 flute Speed and Feed chart: